The Kings Drinking Game is a very straight-forward card game where players sit in a circle and flip cards, doing the required action or taking a drink. It’s very hard to set in stone what the official rules of this game actually are although there’s a few that are agreed on. Everyone seems to know someone with a crumpled up piece of paper in their bag that contain the “official rules” to the Kings game.
How To Play Kings Drinking Game
Players take turns flipping cards from a standard deck of cards and performing the action on the card. That’s it. Have fun!
- Ace: “Waterfall“. The player who drew this then proceeds to drink as much of their drink as he wants. The next player clockwise then has to start drinking his/her own drink until the player before him/her puts their drink down. This continues clockwise until the last player puts their drink down.
- Two: “Two is for you”. Assign one drink to another player.
- Three: “Three is for me”. Take one drink.
- Four: “Touch the floor”. Last player to touch the floor after this card was drawn takes 1 drink.
- Five: “Five’s for the guy”. All guys playing take 1 drink.
- Six: “Six is for the chicks”. All girls playing take 1 drink.
- Seven: “Seven to heaven”. Last player to raise their hand drinks.
- Eight: “Never have I ever”. The Player that flipped this card states something they have never done. Everyone who has done that must take 1 drink.
- Nine: “Bust a rhyme“. The player that flipped this card chooses a word and then players take turns in a clockwise order rhyming with that word. First player to take too long to think of a word or repeats a word has to drink.
- Ten: “Story time”. The player who drew this card says 3 words to start a story. Then in turn going clockwise the next player must repeat every word of the story and then add a word of their own at the end. The player that doesn’t say the right words has to drink.
- Jack: “Categories“. The player who drew this cards names a category. Then in turn going clockwise each player must name something that fits within that category. The player who fails to do so has to drink.
- Queen: “Questions”. Whoever drew this card must ask someone a question. Then the person who was asked that question must respond with a question and direct it at another player. First player to fail to ask a question or who accidentally directs a question at the same player that asked them a question drinks.
- King: “Make a rule”. Make a rule. Anyone who breaks the rule drinks. This rule lasts until another player draws a King.
Extra Kings Game Rules
If you don’t feel like using one or more of the above Kings game rules, try swapping them out with some of these other rules to make it more fun.
- Kings Cup: (usually used in place of the King). Whenever someone draws one of these they pour some of their drink into a central cup. The player who draws the final king must chug it.
- Snake Eyes: to play this game everyone closes their eyes. Then someone points at someone else in the room. At the count of three each player opens their eyes, and if any players are pointing at each other they both must drink.
- Duck And Cover: Last player under the table drinks.
- Mimic: The player who draws this makes up a gesture. At any point in the game if they do the gesture then everyone else needs to copy it. last player to do so drinks.
- Bathroom card: Players cannot leave the table without drawing a Bathroom card.
- Thumb card: Once drawn, last player to put their thumb on the table drinks.
Variants: Here’s a list of known variations of Kings.
- King’s cup: This variant involves putting a central cup in the center of the table. Now instead of creating a rule, whoever draws a king pours some of their drink into the central cup. Whoever draws the 4th king drinks the cup and the game is done. See full rules here…
- Circle of death: This variant also uses a central cup but this time it’s filled with beer before the game starts. Whenever a player draws a card he must place it on top of the cup in the middle with at least 2 corners hanging off. If a player knocks any cards off the cup he has to drink the whole cup and the game is over. See full rules here…
- Ring Of Fire: This game acts as much simpler version of Circle of Death, where whenever a card is drawn a player drinks that many if its black and gives out that many if it’s red. See full rules here…
- Captain Dickhead: Similar to kings with one special rule. The most recent player to draw an Ace becomes Captain Dickhead. He can ignore and create whatever game rules he wants. See full rules here…
- Sociables: An simplified heavy drinking version. Each card simply amounts to a certain amount of drinking, and the Jokers require players to finish their drinks. See full rules here…
The Kings drinking game is always a blast. It’s become a staple at many house parties and it’s a great way to introduce new people to each other and have some laughs. The kings game can either be very little drinking or a lot, depending on your luck so always make sure to drink responsibly and take a break if you think you need one.