The Up and Down the River Drinking game is a card game that is entirely based on luck. It’s easy to play and teach so it’s a great choice for any party. The game works by dealing players 4 cards and then flipping cards from the deck. 4 cards up the river that cause players to take drinks. 4 cards down the river to cause players to give away drinks. And then 13 cards to flip for everyone to take drinks. This game works best with medium sized groups around 3-6 players.
What You’ll Need
A deck of cards with the jokers removed and some drinks.
Up and Down the River Drinking Game Rules
First start by picking a dealer. The dealer than deals 4 cards face up to each player (they can include themselves as well too if they want to join in the drinking). Next shuffle the remaining cards and place the pile face down next to the dealer.
Up the River
The first part of the game is going up the river.
- Flip over one card from the deck. anyone who has that card drinks once.
- Flip over a second card, anyone who has it drinks twice.
- Flip over a third card, anyone who has it drinks three times.
- Flip over a fourth card, anyone who has it drinks four times.
(If anyone has multiples of a flipped card they multiply the amount of drinks they take).
Down the River
- Flip over a fifth card, anyone who has that card gives out 4 drinks.
- Flip over a sixth card, anyone who has that card gives out 3 drinks.
- Flip over a seventh card, anyone who has that card gives out 2 drinks.
- Flip over an eighth card, anyone who has that card gives out 1 drink.
(If anyone has multiples of a flipped card multiply the drinks to give out. Drinks can be divided among multiple players)
Through the River
Now the dealer starts flipping cards. Each time a card is flipped the dealer says the next number in order (Ace,Two,Three,Four,Fiver,etc… all the way to King). If ever the number matches what the dealer says then everyone at the table drinks equal to that number.
The Up and Down the River drinking game is great because it doesn’t require any strategy so you just get to flip some cards and get to the drinking. It’s pretty sporadic how much drinking you’ll actually do so make sure to drink responsibly and take a break if you need one.